"It's a bad thing when you see your neighbor's house burned up with everything in it," says James W. Little. "It's a bad thing."
Little woke up Friday morning to sirens and smoke to find his neighbors house destroyed, neighbors, who have been there nearly fifty years.
"I ran out the door, and I could hardly see through the smoke. I got my shoes on and everything, came out here and fire trucks all over the place. It was pretty well burned up by then," says Little.
Bay County and Springfield Fire Departments responded around 8 am Friday morning to a home on East 19th Court in Cedar Grove firefighters believe the blaze started in the kitchen, from a cooking accident.
Both residents, a 50 year old man and his 78 year old mother, made it out. But the house and nearly everything inside are gone.
Now, with help from the Central Panhandle Chapter of the American Red Cross, the family is trying to get back on their feet.
"We're going to make sure that they have a place to stay. Clothes to wear food to eat. It gives them a little breaking room to think about how they're going to put their lives back together," says Bob Pearce, the executive director of the American Red Cross.
Firefighters say the initial call came through was from a Life Alert type of device that the elderly woman was wearing around her neck, something they say probably saved her life.