A popular beach resort pool opened back up Thursday night after a dangerous chemical reaction caused it to be evacuated, and left at least three in need of medical assistance. @
According to the Panama City Beach Fire Department it was an accidental chemical release, something that happened at the Edgewater Beach Resort when an employee was mixing chlorine and murtic acid for the pool, a mixture they say they use regularly.
"The area was evacuated before the hazmat team got here. Them employees tried to do the best they could to neutralize the chemical reaction and evacuating the pool area, so that really helped a lot," says Captain Joe Cocco of the Panama City Beach Fire Department.
The Panama City Beach Police and EMS also responded. Two guests were evaluated on scene, and another child was taken to the hospital.
"Anytime you have a chemical reaction of that nature, you're always checking for respiratory and trying to make sure they have no breathing difficulties," says Cocco.
Representatives from Edgewater say safety is a priority, and they take these situations seriously.
"We're airing on the side of caution. We just want our guests safe," says Paul Wohlford with the Resort. "So anytime you get a chemical spill, we want to do the right thing, go by the books, call in the local authorities. They came in and inspected and said everything is fine."
The child that did go to the hospital has been released and is ok. The Edgewater Beach Resort pool is safe to use and back open.