A minor fire forced the closure of City Hall in Springfield Tuesday afternoon until further notice.
Around 3 p.m., a minor electrical fire started from an upstairs electrical unit inside city hall. Firefighters from the Springfield Fire Department responded immediately and had the fire out shortly.
Currently, there is no electrical service or phone service in the building. Repairmen are on scene and service will be restored as soon as possible. No one was injured in the fire.
City officials say that it's time for residents to pay their utility bills and payments will be taken when services are restored. No late fees will be assessed to residents due to the inability to make payments.
Those with questions at about utilities at this time can call:
Springfield City Clerk: 258-2766
Springfield Public Works Director: 258-2993
Springfield Police Department: 872-7545