Girls Inc. Executive Director Tammy Dunaway visited News 13 This Morning on Monday. Tammy shared a few ideas to help parents set their kids up for success. The following is a basic guide to student success:
Successful Starts for Successful Students
- Dinner (a good dinner will ensure better sleep, finish meal 2 or more hours before bedtime)
- Bath time (start relaxing for the evening with a bath or shower)
- Organize for the morning
- Prepare clothes (put in clothes bucket for the morning)
- Prepare school bag (set by front door)
- Regardless of the day, do your best to put your little ones to bed with love and same for your teens!
Peace and Rest
- Bedtime Environment
- One of the greatest ways to prevent anxiety in your child is to protect them from adult issues that are not age appropriate.
- Protect from household stressors:
- Worries (parents getting along, other siblings in trouble at home or school, sickness or illness in family and friends, the list goes on….)
- Siblings (when sharing a room, think about if your small child is losing sleep because of his or her younger sibling…if getting up during the night makes it difficult for you the next day you can be assured it's even harder for a young person who requires more sleep.
- Peaceful sleep
- Go to bed nightly with expressions of love, thankfulness, kindness, ensuring security for the ones you love.
- Increase fiber
- Decrease sugar
- Eat fruit rather than drink it
- Drink more water, supplement with juice
- Does not have to be "breakfast food" can be a grilled cheese w/apple
- Planned (routine)
- Cut up some fruit the night before
- Bake muffins on the weekend and freeze for week ahead
- We know our children's favorite foods so in the morning, try and start their day happy and nutritious. Continue to add new choices to everyone's diet, but go with a sure thing in the morning. Decide that the night before—but always stay flexible.
There are many businesses, services, and individuals in our community that can help your family succeed. Here are a few:
- Girls Incorporated of Bay County
- Anchorage Family Counseling
- Children's Home Society
- Emerald Coast Behavioral Hospital
- Florida Therapy
- Gulf Coast Children's Advocacy
- Life Management Bay County
- United Way of Northwest Florida