Dirty Chimney Causes House Fire - WMBB News 13 - The Panhandle's News Leader

Dirty Chimney Causes House Fire

Posted: Updated:

What was supposed to be a small fire in one Bay county family's fireplace...turned into a much larger one Saturday evening. 

The fire broke out a little after 7 o'clock on Brook Forest Drive in Panama City. Three fire trucks and ten firefighters responded to the scene.

Bay County Fire Rescue Lieutenant Gabriel Moschella says fire can spread rapidly when you have a dirty chimney and that was the case Saturday.

Homeowner Stan Sexton says the last time he cleaned his was 2 years ago. He wants urges other homeowners to think about when the last time theirs was cleaned before starting a fire. 

"Everybody's fine, the house is gonna be ok, some damage," says Sexton."But I do need to tell people be careful. If you're gonna be burning a fire, be careful."

Sexton says damage is estimated between 5 and 6 thousand dollars. Lieutenant Moschella say these types of fires are common this time of year and recommends a professional cleaning before putting your chimney to use.