As we get closer and closer to the winter months, we are beginning to see some pretty low temperatures. Wednesday night's lows reached into the low 40's and upper 30's. That means people at home are finding ways to keep warm. If it's not done properly, however, it could be a very dangerous situation.
"A house fire spreads very rapidly," says firefighter Garrett Jackson with Panama City Beach Fire Rescue. "A house fire can go from a space heater tipping over, catching the curtains, to fully involved in three minutes. That's very dangerous."
It can be safe to use alternate heating sources like a space heater or the fireplace, but do it carefully.
If you plan to use a space heater, make sure it is at least three feet away from anything that can catch fire like curtains or the Christmas tree.
If you are using your fire place, make sure it is cleaned properly and not over-stacked.
"The fire gets out of control, comes out of the fireplace, catches the curtains nearby or something else on fire," says Jackson.
If a fire does occur, firefighters say the most important thing to do is get out.
"If there's fire active in your house, you need to get out of your house. You need to call 911. We always say have your family have a meeting place whether it be a mailbox or a tree. Meet. Get your family our of the house," say Jackson.
It is also important to make sure that you have working smoke detectors an each level of your home.