Parker Fire Department responded to Jeannie's Coin Laundry on North Tyndall Parkway after 911 calls were made by customers. Witnesses say they started to smell smoke when they saw the store managers running with a fire extinguisher.
The building was evacuated and fire fighters were on scene in just a few minutes. Gas and electricity were turned off as firefighters secured the building. Chief Andrew Kelly from Parker Fire says thanks to fast acting employees and department fire fighters this small blaze was contained quickly.
"The manager on duty attempted to extinguish it with an extinguisher," said Kelly. "And in just a couple minutes we had it knocked down with water and evacuated the smoke from the building."
"I was just thinking 'Oh my God I hope it doesn't enflame the dryer next to it because my baby's clothes are in there,'" said Karie Jones.
Smoke was cleared from the building and customers were allowed back in. Other than the defective dryer no other clothes or appliances were damaged.