A fire in Panama City spread across two properties just before noon Monday. The blaze happened in the 1900 block of Palmetto Avenue.
According to Panama City Fire Department there were several accelerants involved in the blaze, causing explosions and residents nearby to evacuate during the fire.
Firefighters arrived on scene to find a garage and shed fully involved on two different properties. Neighbors nearby feared for their own homes.
"Yes it was very scary. We started wetting down the back of the house and the fence because we didn't know how fast it was going to move," says Jimmie McBride, who's daughter lives in the area.
Neighbors not only feared the flames, but the sounds of explosions coming from the fire, as well.
"I heard all the explosions. We didn't know exactly what it was. The policeman came by and was telling us that it was explosive in the house and that we should not be out here," says McBride.
"We had two small explosions," says Panama City Fire Chief Wayne Watts. "It appears that there may have been two propane tanks inside. It's fortunate that we didn't have a bigger issue."
Investigators with the State Fire Marshal's Office and Panama City Fire have determined that the fire started from an electrical short in the garage.
Both the garage and the shed were total losses. Luckily, no homes were damaged, and no one was injured.