Bay District Schools (BDS) has moved to a new online school registration process, which started earlier this week. Previously, parents registered at their home zoned schools. All parents who have students in kindergarten through grade 12 must complete the online registration process for the coming school year.
At this time, the only pre-kindergarten students included in this new process are those who are in ESE Pre-K. The registration process begins by signing on to Parent Portal, an electronic student record that can be accessed by parents and students. Some parents may have already established a Parent Portal account. Those who do not currently have a Parent Portal account will go the school district website at www.bay.k12.fl.us and click on the Parent Portal icon.
Students new to Bay District Schools are required to register in person. A registration center has been opened at the Nelson Administrative Office, which will be open during the summer months. It is open Monday through Thursday from 8:00 a.m. to 3:30 p.m. in room 415. The Center will be closed the week of July 1st. A photo identification card (usually a driver license) is needed for all visitors to the Nelson building.
Documentation required for first time registration is as follows: driver license, two proofs of address, shot record and student birth certificate.
Parent input of student information directly into the student data base will improve the accuracy of student records and will allow parents to provide critical updates from their home computer or a phone with an internet connection. Requiring registration through Parent Portal will also give parents instant access to academic progress and attendance information, and provides better communication between students, parents and teachers since an email address is required to sign on.
Expansion of the online student data system will also give staff real-time counts on the number of students enrolled by school, grade, and course. There will also be cost savings by eliminating paper, printing, postage, and personnel costs associated with data entry.
DIRECTIONS FOR PARENTS
For parents who are registering students for kindergarten for the first time, students new to the school district, or students who re-entering
1) You must have an active Google email account to register a student for the 2013-2014 school year. To create a free Google email account go to www.google.com/SignUp and complete the new accounts information.
2) Next, go to the School Registration Center located in the Nelson Administrative Office at 1311 Balboa Ave., Panama City, FL 32401, room 415. The center will be open Monday through Thursday, 8:00 a.m. - 3:30 p.m.
3) Required documents are: a photo i.d., two proofs of residence, student birth certificate, shot record and social security card (optional) (BDS Policy 7.101). Documentation must be verified before a student identification number can be issued. A student identification number is needed in order to access the school district online registration site.
4) Student Services staff will be available to assist you with completing the registration process.
For parents of current students who have not yet signed on to Parent Portal
1) Get the Student ID number from a report card or call the school.
2) You must have an active Google email account to register a student for the 2013-2014 school years. To create a free Google email account go to www.google.com/SignUp and complete the new accounts information.
3) Go to the Bay District Schools home page at www.bay.k12.fl.us and click on the Parent Portal icon. On the Parent Portal page click on and complete Request Access to Parent Portal. After this step is complete, go to the school to verify your identification with you driver license. Your user-id will be connected to the student in the database allowing access to student records. This step must be completed to proceed with the 2013-2014 School Registration process.
4) Next, click on Parent Portal Login. Click on My Child. Click on Request Changes to Student and Contact Info. Click on the tab with student name and complete the registration fields.
For parents of current students who have an active Parent Portal account
1) Go to the Bay District Schools home page at www.bay.k12.fl.us and click on the Parent Portal icon. On the Parent Portal page click on and complete the Parent Portal Login.
2) Click on My Child. Click on Request Changes to Student and Contact Info. Click on the tab with your child's name and complete the registration fields.
All parents must complete the online registration process. For additional assistance, contact Student Services at 767-4311.