UPDATE: PCB Drowning Victim's Body Recovered - WMBB News 13 - The Panhandle's News Leader

UPDATE: PCB Drowning Victim's Body Recovered

Posted: Updated:
Panama City Beach, FL -

UPDATE: Panama City Beach police recovered the body of a Georgia man who drowned during double red flag conditions Saturday.

The body of Tony Underwood, Jr. of Rex, Georgia washed ashore at the M. B. Miller County Pier and was recovered at 11:15 p.m., about five hours after he went missing.

According to a police press release, officers responded to reports of swimmers in distress behind the Chateau Motel at 12525 Front Beach Road.  When they arrived at 6:02 p.m., they found that one swimmer with a flotation device had made it back to shore.  Underwood also had a flotation device but lost his grip and was caught in an undertow, police said.

Police and units from the U. S. Coast Guard and Florida Fish and Wildlife Conservation Commission began searching for Underwood but could not find him.  A helicopter was also used in the search.


Double red flags are flying along Bay County beaches, but that hasn't kept swimmers out of the water...and some of them are paying the price.

Tonight, the search continues for a young swimmer believed to be still out there, somewhere in the Gulf.

The drama began at about six o'clock Saturday evening with reports of multiple swimmers in distress behind the Chateau Motel off Front Beach Road.

Darrius Washington and his were enjoying a beach getaway from Tallahassee when a stranger approached them about two swimmers in distress.

"Someone actually came up to us and asked it that your friends?" explained Washington. "You know not knowing how serious the situation was, I said no but I'll go save them, kinda joking around."

It wasn't until Washington swam out into the double red flag surf did he realize the severity of the situation and see others also trying to help.

"Once we got out there, he was crying about his friend," said Washington. "He said help him, help him, help my friend, and we couldn't get to him."

Washington says he was able to help bring one of the swimmers to shore, but the search for the other swimmer continues.

Panama City Beach Police Department sent a helicopter flying overhead while two United States Coast Guard boats searched below. 

But as the sun sets and the skies loose their light, the reality of the situation becomes scary to think about.

"Maybe he's stuck on a buoy or something, only thing I can do is pray and hope maybe he's still holding on," said Washington.

Washington calls his rescue effort far from heroic. He says he was just doing what he hopes someone would do for him.

There were other multiple calls for assistance to other water emergencies on the beach earlier.