Man Accidentally Shoots Himself at McDonald's - WMBB News 13 - The Panhandle's News Leader

Man Accidentally Shoots Himself at McDonald's

Posted: Updated:

Deputies with the Bay County Sheriff's Office responded to the McDonalds in Callaway over night when a 911 call reported a shooting. Upon arrival they found several witnesses standing around the victim who lay on the ground. The victim had a single gunshot wound to the abdomen.

The victim was conscious and told deputies he accidentally shot himself with a .38 caliber revolver. Deputies began applying pressure to the wound. It was then the victim's girlfriend and younger brother ran up from the west end of the parking lot. EMS responded to the scene. Investigators from the BCSO Criminal Investigations Division also were called to the scene.

Witnesses stated to investigators that just after eight p.m. they heard a single gunshot and saw the victim, who was sitting in a white Saturn in the parking lot, get out of the vehicle, holding his stomach, and fall to the ground. A witness seated in a car next to the Saturn stated she heard the victim say "…I accidentally shot myself" before falling to the ground.

When asked where the gun was, the victim's girlfriend admitted to throwing it into the woods next to the west end of the parking lot. After changing her account several times as to the reason she discarded the gun, she finally stated that the victim instructed her to grab the gun and go throw it into the woods. The victim's girlfriend and brother stated they had all smoked marijuana together and that the victim was trying to place the gun in his waistband when it went off. A digital scale, marijuana grinder, and a glass bong were found in the car and turned in as evidence for destruction.

Deputy Jeff Duggins and his K9 partner Durka were called to the scene and Durka located the gun in the woods. It was a .38 caliber snub-nosed 5 shot revolver. A preliminary database search on the gun indicates it may be stolen.

The victim is recovering at a local hospital. No charges have been filed at this time. The investigation is ongoing.


The above was released Thursday by the Bay County Sheriff's Office.